Thursday, May 26, 2011

Homework 59- SOF Prom


I was part of that group that did not participate. But as junior at our school that to me is what is expected. However, I was asked to attend prom with someone. My reason for not going was because I didn't have the money to pay for it ($150 for admission, tux, limo). I didn't regret not going this year, but now I think it would have been cool to be a part of it considering for the past two weeks, all I was hearing about was prom. Next year I plan on attending prom, I’m not one to overthink it and talk about it as a rite of passage or a really important night; I just think it is a good experience to have. I feel this way because it gives you one more chance to be around everybody, all your friends, enemies, ect., from high school. You also get that at graduation (if you pass) but I think it’s different at prom because people act more like themselves without their family around. For me, that is one high school experience that I would like to have.
There are a lot of reasons not to participate as well. The cost of prom is a big one. I definitely agree that prom is pricy. Especially at our school. I have friends from other schools that attended prom this year, and their admission was only $20-50 as opposed to $150 at our school. $150 is the starting cost. Then girls normally buy a dress, which could be pricey, depending on the dress. Most guys wear tuxedos to prom, which not many own, and Internet research shows that a tux rental is around $50-150. The new average cost is up to $250. Then an important component is the transportation. Nobody wants to show up to prom coming from the subway. Limo rentals in New York City, among all places are expensive. I looked it up and it was running close to $100 a person if four couples are sharing the limo for the night. The cost with transportation is now $350. Then adding miscellaneous costs like a corsage or accessories and the total cost of the night is somewhere around $400 dollars. Which I know a lot of people can’t afford for just one night. The cost of prom is one dominant social practice that would keep me from attending.
 Next year I’ll be going to prom, paying whatever costs come my way,  and I think I’ll enjoy it, with a date from out of school, but it will still just be another prom. I don't think it will be that magical night people envision. Life is not a fairy-tale, and we don't even have prom royalties. Our prom is just prom, where for most, the after party is the highlight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment