Sunday, May 22, 2011

Homework 57- Initial Thoughts On Prom


Bubble: Is prom actually an important event or just hyped up?
     Prom affects people on different levels. For some people, it is a rite of passage, a special night. To others, it is just another night to go out, have fun, drink, do whatever. At our school Prom isn't that big of a deal. It almost got cancelled this year and I don't think that too many people would have been disappointed if it had. I think that a big part of this feeling has to do with where we are from. Most of us have grown up in New York City, and because of that we live our lives a more fast paced then people in the boondocks or the suburbs. I know people from the suburbs treat prom differently then at our school. Then again, it could just be our school. I think that getting mugged for the first time is a bigger rite of passage then prom. Prom doesn't reflect the real world for most people. Prom is just one last gathering before people go their separate ways. One last night to remember from high school.
     Prom's real significance is about everybody (that would like to participate) to have one last memory before they leave. It goes hand-in-hand with graduation, but I feel like graduations are about reflecting on the last four years they spent at this school.  Prom is another thing that's reflected one during graduation. It's like going out with a bang.
    One thing I look forward to, that I probably shouldn’t is riding in a limo. Whenever I see a limo my first thought is: what famous person is inside there? What rich person is in there? This is a time where I’ll be that rich person, even if I’m not rich. It’s just an unconscious desire to be involved with flashy social symbols representing wealth.
            There is one distinct image that comes into my mind when thinking about prom. It’s when people walk through the doors and everyone has a reaction. I know that image comes into my head because it is portrayed in a cliché way in many different movies, tv shows, ect.
     Prom is what you make it. You can get caught up in having a perfect night, having a dream date, or just expecting prom night to be a life-changing experience. If you don’t take it seriously and don’t have high expectations, it is just another night. I think by analyzing prom this much; we might just be feeding the hype. By putting labels like “rite of passage” and “a night of high importance” it is trying to add more then what’s actually there.

Questions:
How does the significance of prom change for different areas?
When did this prom tradition start? What was its original purpose compared to what we see prom as now?
If prom is supposed to be one grade making memories together is it acceptable to bring outside dates?


All of the other units (besides birth) aren't optional, but prom seems like it is, so is it actually optional, or somehow does everyone get involved somehow?

No comments:

Post a Comment